Welcome to The Bertrand Russell Society Online Forum

The Bertrand Russell Society Online Forum

Author Topic: 2015 Annual Meeting-Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland  (Read 2815 times)

June 14, 2015, 12:11:19 AM
  • Global Moderator
  • Russellian
    • View Profile
Peter Stone outdid himself as host of the 2015 Society's Annual Meeting at Trinity College in Dublin Ireland.  I am sure from the various comments that I've heard that everyone who attended shares my sentiment that the meeting was a great success. 

There were interesting papers on subjects ranging from the technical to BR's social views and biographical information. Featured speaker A.C. Grayling gave a fine and entertaining overview of BR's importance to modern analytic philosophy, which he believes Russell almost single-handedly founded and set in motion. Though there were  certainly others involved (Frege, Moore, Wittgenstein, etc.), Grayling contends Russell gave its several branches the necessary impetus, and that though doctrines have evolved and changed over time, the basic style of doing philosophy to this day is very much due to Russell.  There was even a bit of salaciousness (combined with some levity) with a paper delivered by the daughter of one of Russell's former lovers who spoke of her mother's several encounters with him.  New Prez., Tim Madigan, gave a thought-provoking talk on Russell's grandfather, Lord John, whose liberal social policies in England were anything but liberal in Ireland during the famine, resulting in the interesting question, had a (Bertrand) Russell Tribunal existed then, would grandpa have been tried for crimes against humanity. Also, several from the  Society for the Study of the History of Analytical Philosophy, whose meeting was held concurrently and (in part) jointly with the BRS, stayed over for BRS papers and added liveliness to the discussions.

We of course had board and member meetings, and minutes and details will be promulgated in due course.  Tim Madigan was elected President, replacing retiring President Alan Schwerin, to whom we owe a debt for having served the Society in this capacity for many years.  Peter Stone, previously Vice Chair, became the new VP, replacing Ray Perkins, who is now Vice Chair. Chad Trainer will continue as Chair. Michael Potter and yours truly were reelected as Secretary and Treasurer, respectively. And Dennis Darland and Kris Notaro will continue in their vice presidencies as our tech gurus.  Among other things, we discussed marketing to prospective members, slightly increased student dues, and modified chapter rules in the bylaws. 

On the social angle, old friends reunited and new ones were made, and many pints of Guinness were consumed.  We had folks from North America, the Continent, UK, and South America, in addition to locals. I think we might have even landed a couple of new members.  Peter arranged for several splendid dinners, and we were able to experience a bit of the famed Irish pub nightlife.  After the meeting ended on Sunday, many of us joined Peter at the oldest pub in Ireland, Brazen Head, which was established in 1168!  The streets were teaming with young people well into the night.  Dublin is a vibrant city, and it offers much of historical interest.  Trinity College itself is a beautiful and compact campus in the city's center, and our meeting facility was commodious and the goodies Peter arranged for us there were perfect.  I should add, the weather cooperated (Ireland is green for a reason) throughout.

Word has it that the next three annual meetings are  set ... 2016 - St. John Fisher College (Rochester, NY); 2017 -Central Connecticut State University (New Britain, CT); and 2018- McMaster University (Hamilton, ON)--to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Russell Archives. 

Thank you, Peter, for a great conference!  I am looking forward to the ones to come. These meetings truly are one of the best benefits offered to Society members, both in terms of the learning experience and the conviviality of it all, and I do hope all will have occasion to take advantage of them.  MB 
[/size]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 12:19:05 AM by Michael Berumen »
Michael Berumen
June 14, 2015, 08:07:55 AM
Reply #1
  • Global Moderator
  • Russellian
    • View Profile
    • The Bertrand Russell Archives