Poll

Do you think the Master Classes or Panel Discussuions should be admitted to the list?

Both Master Classes and Panel Discussions
5 (83.3%)
Master Classes only
1 (16.7%)
Panel Discussions only.
0 (0%)
Neither Master Classes nor Panel Discussions
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: February 27, 2016, 05:20:47 PM

Author Topic: List of papers given at BRS Meetings  (Read 2677 times)

Dennis Darland

• Administrator
  • Russellian
  • Vice President, Electronic Projects, BRS
    • View Profile
    • Dennis Darland's Personal Home Page
List of papers given at BRS Meetings
« on: February 20, 2016, 05:20:47 PM »
"It is a commonplace that happiness is not best achieved by those who seek it directly; and it would seem that the same is true of the good."
BR, "Mysticism and Logic" in CPBR Vol. 8, p. 48.

Jack Clontz

• Russellian
    • View Profile
Re: List of papers given at BRS Meetings
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 05:59:25 AM »

Dennis:

Thank you for all of your hard work in the present connection.  This is going far towards developing an "institutional memory" for the BRS, a matter of some importance--at least to my mind--as I previously indicated.

It is disappointing--and this is obviously not your fault or even your responsibility--that there are no links provided for what seem to be quite a large number of very important or at least extremely interesting and instructive papers.  Surely, most of these authors have retained copies of these papers.

Although, alas, more than a few authors are no longer members, one wonders if some of the authors could provide PDF files for their papers, or scan them and send them to you, or whatever would be feasible.  Of course, this would be burdensome, but it would give at least an additional scintilla or iota of recognition for the work done by these authors.  Moreover, I suspect that many of these papers formed part of a much larger research or writing agenda. If so, one would hope that links could be provided for papers or books by these authors which have further developed and applied the ideas in the papers presented at the BRS annual meetings.

In this way, the BRS could provide a service to members, the larger scholarly community and the large number of people at large who would be interested in what BR has done not only in the scholarly sense but in the practical sense of social and political engagement in regard to pressing problems of concern for myriads of our fellow human beings.  Moreover, this involves the planet itself in my view, not to speak of all other sentient beings as understood by Bentham, Albert Schweitzer ("reverence for life"),   Buddhism (cf., e.g., the idea of the Bodhisattva) in addition to some (but only some) notions current in the "deep ecology" movement (especially, cf. A. Naess) .  Rightly or wrongly, at least to me, it seems obvious that BR's ideas are especially germane to events depressingly described everyday in the world press.

Regards, Jack Clontz in the Kingdom of Thailand

Michael Berumen

• Global Moderator
  • Russellian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 03:38:53 PM »
Dennis, I share Jack's view, and I'm also grateful for all of your work on our behalf, indeed, on behalf of posterity.  I voted for providing content on both panels and master classes to the extent you can find the information. Thank you for asking. 
Michael Berumen

Landon Elkind

• Russellian
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 09:22:32 AM »
Thanks, Dennis!
Yours Truly,
Landon D. C. Elkind
PhD Student, University of Iowa
Treasurer, Bertrand Russell Society
Treasurer, Society for the Study of the History of Analytical Philosophy

Dennis Darland

• Administrator
  • Russellian
  • Vice President, Electronic Projects, BRS
    • View Profile
    • Dennis Darland's Personal Home Page
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 06:06:57 PM »
I am grateful for the opportunity to do meaningful for Russell Scholarship and hence philosophy and society in general - however indirectly. Especially since I suffer from mental illness which was diagnosed shortly after I joined the society, and shortly before I became involved with society business - though I believe my illness started much earlier. I may not always be good at expressing that gratitude. Our founder, Peter Cranford, a psychologist, advised at that time that I could be entrusted as treasurer of the society. Compiling the list of papers has brought back many good memories, especially of meetings I was able to attend.
"It is a commonplace that happiness is not best achieved by those who seek it directly; and it would seem that the same is true of the good."
BR, "Mysticism and Logic" in CPBR Vol. 8, p. 48.